Friday 18 October 2013

All About Quinn!

If you missed it, I posted about Quinn's birth HERE at my other blog.  I decided to create a new blog for him so that both boys have their own and can read at their leisure when they are older if they want to!  So although this will mainly be about Quinn, it will naturally include the whole family since that will be the main part of his life, but I will try to mostly focus on him.

Quinn is going to be 12 weeks old on Sunday.....I can't believe 12 weeks have already passed!  I guess there is a lot to update on :)  I decided to just update in sections rather than a rambling blog (although I will probably ramble and it will probably be very long!)

Let's start from the beginning....

PREGNANCY - definitely a bit more rough than my first.  I had the same things happen - Gestational Diabetes and Group B Strep.  Weight gain was about 25 lbs (so 10 lbs less than my first pregnancy) but I felt so much bigger this time around.  I was not able to rest much so that made me more uncomfortable.  I went off work a total of 3 weeks early (I went back for 1 week in between and decided it was not working out).  This time I had a Midwife and the difference was like night and day.  You can read about that HERE.
The Bump the night before I went into labor.  (38 weeks & 2 days)

DELIVERY - nothing short of amazing.  It was a 4 hour labor, with 20 mins of pushing.  I did need assistance since he was stuck but really I have nothing to complain about.  It was fast, natural, hurt like a B**** but worth it in the end.  (Birth story is posted above)
About 20 minutes after birth
POST PARTUM HEALING - once again, amazing.   I was up and walking about half hour after delivery.  I was also on a super high and felt amazing....so much that I did not sleep that entire night! I won't get into details but everything "down there" was in tact and not much healing was required, just something they called a "skidmark" of a tear.  No stitches required!!   I had a bit of pain about a week later in my hips and abdomen - mostly from things going back to the way they were.  An extra strength Tylenol + Advil took care of that pain.
Me & my babies the following morning!
SLEEPING - For the most part he has been good to us.  The first week I co slept with him in the downstairs bedroom because I did not know how he was yet... but he was fine.  Didn't cry much so I ended up staying upstairs for the remainder.  He did sleep on me the first two weeks, but the transition to his bassinet/playard was easy for night sleeping.  He generally sleeps from 8:30 - 2:30 or so.  Then after that we need to work on it because he is up every 2-3 hours (from the beginning of a feed).  It's tiring, especially when there is a rambunctious almost 2 year old running around at the crack of dawn! Naps are still only on me in the Ergo Baby.  He will not sleep for more than 5 minutes in his bed or on a pillow.  But I keep trying every day.


This is in the Moby but still the same idea!

CAR RIDES - absolutely hates them....HATES them.  As soon as he is clicked into the car, he screams.... like bloody murder screaming. I don't know what to do about this...we have to go places, and instead of it getting better, it's getting worse.  Breaks my heart to hear him like this, and Ethan is not really a fan either.
Don't let this cute face fool ya!
BREASTFEEDING - He's a champ.   It started out about 45 minutes for a feed, every 2 hours, and now we are down to about 5-10 minutes a feed, still every 2 hours.  He does not take a soother (I have tried numerous times!!) so I am a pacifier as well.  It seems like he nurses more often, but really he is just soothing himself.  We are encouraging his hand often!  He latched great right away so I never had to go through the pain or cracks or blisters etc... now taking a bottle is our challenge....he can't get the hang of it and gives the weirdest looks when we try!  But we keep trying, yes we do!
Nursing in the Ergo!

GROWING - he grew a lot in his first 10 weeks.  He went from 8,11 down to 8,5 and back up to 9,11 in 2 weeks.  Now, 10 weeks later he is about 13 pounds.  His length at birth was 20.5 and he is now 23 1/4.  I jumped the gun and put him in 3-6 month clothing but it is a bit big on him, but that's ok since he will grow into them :)
Hi Ya!

MILESTONES - he is doing well.  He is starting to laugh now, which is really cute.  Half the time I do not know what he laughs at but he is doing it.  Ryan can get him laughing pretty good.  So with laughing, he is obviously smiling as well.  He has rolled over twice from back to belly.  When he is laying down, he tries to roll up (it looks like he is trying to see his toes).  Since he sleeps on his belly, he is able to move around in his playpen.  If I lay him lengthwise, when he wakes he is usually almost widthwise in the bed.  I also think he is starting to recognize me...once he sees me if someone else is holding him, he locks his eyes on me.  I think it's a start!
Daddy making him laugh!

So that's a bit about Quinn!

No comments:

Post a Comment